8 Countries that Produce the Most Sugar in the World

Approximately 80% of the world’s sugar is produced from sugarcane in tropical and subtropical climates, with the remaining 20% derived from sugar beet, which is grown mostly in the temperate zones of the northern hemisphere. Seventy countries produce sugar from sugarcane, 40 from sugar beet and 10 from both. While there has been a slight dip in demand due to health concerns and increasing obesity, the world’s ongoing obsession with sweets is fed largely by 8 nations. Here is the list by Insidermonkey experts about countries that produce the most sugar in the world.

Sugarcane is an important commercial crop worldwide, and one of the principal sources of sugar, ethanol, and jaggery (a semi-refined sugar product used in the Indian subcontinent) globally. Its byproducts are also used as a fodder to feed livestock in many countries. Sugarcane is a tall, perennial grass reaching 3 to 4 meters in height, comprised by jointed, fibrous stalks. Though its cultivation started around 327 BC in the Indian subcontinent, it gradually found its way to the rest of the world via trade routes through Middle East. Later, it arrived and flourished as an industry in the New World. In India, sugarcane is still used in a large number of religious rituals. Today, sugarcane cultivated in most countries with warm climes. You can also check the list of 11 countries that consume the most sugar in the world.

0 Yorum Var.: